From: "Mike Sofen" <msofen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 5:45 PM
Subject: [RC] understanding mares

I saw Truman's post about riding the ROC on a mare and realized I had a
blank spot in my understanding, specifically about mares.  I just bought
my
first mare and just did my first ride on her (other than my riding eval
before purchase) and we were also by ourselves out on the trail.  She did
really well, was forward, climbed hills like they were flat, was
non-spooky,
mostly listened, and...I can tell I don't yet understand her psychology.
asked Truman if he felt like sharing some wisdom about what makes them
tick.

With his permission, I have pasted his wonderful response below, it opened
my eyes.  Anyone else have ideas/comments on this topic?

Mike Sofen
Santa Cruz, CA

Truman's reply:
Mike,

Mine got on the trail and she was all business.  She got to the point
that she would go out of heat when she got on a trailer - which was a
pain in the butt when I wanted to breed her.

At the OD in 93 or 94 ( the mind seems to be going these days)  we come
out of the woods going into the 70 mile check. It was very dry that year
with no trail water. At that point she stopped. I got off and led her
and at about 1/2 mile later she stopped again. She would not move. We
were about a mile from the check. I was in a panic. We stood there for
hour to the next rider came along and I told him to send out my crew.
She didn't seem to be in any distress, no tight muscles, ears up, etc.
In 15 minutes the head vet (Jim Bryant) and my crew show up. Jim checked
her ( I thought I was killing her) and said to give her some water. She
drink 7 gallons, walked over to a big patch of grass and started to
graze. I told them to send out a trailer I wasn't going on. When she got
off the trailer she squated and peed (clear) and drug me back to my
trailer so she could eat more.

She was fine. The next morning I asked Jim what happened out there. He
said - it's a mare. She felt something was not right (she was getting
dehydrated) and went into a self preservation mode. Thinking back I
remember times when she would slow down - independent of what the horses
we were with would do - for a while an then on her own pick it up again.
Jim said that is something he sees in mares that he doesn't see in
geldings. They seem to be pre programmed to take care of themselves.

I really like mares. They seem to be less spooky and more business.
However, the other side of that is they tend to be opinionated. They are
different than geldings and maybe more of a challenge. I always refered
to a ride with her as a 50 (or 100) mile negotiation.

Enjoy your mare. I sure enjoyed her. I got another one I'm ready to
break and I look forward to that - er at least I think I do ;-).

Regards,
Truman