[RC] leg swelling and/or lameness question - Jackie Winkleman

I have a question, but I guess I need to give the details first...

My mare fell down in the trailer (she jumped right back up) the first weekend of January.  Ten minutes later, I was at a stopping place and checked her.  She had her rear left leg tucked up underneath her (like she didn't want to step in her poo) but I knew otherwise because she had fallen.  So, I immediately called the vet.  He came out and looked at her leg.  Was swollen by then, and was obviously lame.  He said the best case scenario would be a sprain.  The worst case would be a bowed tendon.  He suggested stall rest, spray with cold water, hand walks daily, wrap daily...  OK, I need to tell you where the swelling was.  It was in the fetlock joint/cannon bone - where they come together, but on the back of the rear leg.  The vet said if it was a sprain, should be noticeable better in 5-7 days.  It wasn't.  I called the vet, and he was back out about 11 days after the injury happened.  At this time she appeared better to me.  She was not showing any lameness at the trot in a straight direction.  A slight inconsistecy in gait in a circle.  He recommended keeping her in a stall for a while longer and start out riding at a walk.  Check for lameness and swelling.  Same at a trot, etc...  If OK then I can put her back out in the pasture and begin riding her again as I normally would.  Just work my way back slowly...

Here's the thing, she already had a "wind puff" on that leg in the same area, althought she has never shown a lameness.  She seems to be sound after walking and trotting, but there seems to be some swelling still there.  But no more after I ride, than at the beginning of the ride.  So, could the injury have caused the "wind puff" to get bigger?  Does anyone know where I can find info on wind puffs?  Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jackie

Do you Yahoo!?