Re: [RC] White hooves - Lysane Cree

My first Paint horse had four white feet. When I rode
him without shoes he wasn't sensitive, but his feet
would wear down very quickly and they tended to chip
alot. He was 11 when I got him and I never got his
feet to improve much. I had to shoe him to do regular
riding. He was in a free boarding situation and it was
difficult to feed him lots of extra supplements since
I wasn't there at feeding time, so I don't know if
biotin would have improved it. This horse had white
legs to his elbow and stifle and he always had
problems with scratches. You could see his pink skin
alot on his heels.
My new horse is also a Paint with four white feet. She
is not saddle broke yet so I haven't been riding, but
her feet are staying in pretty good shape so far. They
haven't chipped yet and seem to wear fairly evenly.
She is in a boarding situation as well, but I can feed
what I want now and the manager doesn't mind, so she
is getting all the nutrients she needs. This horse
also has four white legs past her knees and hocks and
she has not had problems with scratches yet even
though we had some pretty damp, muddy conditions. She
did get some rain rot on her back though.
Many people do believe that white feet are "softer"
and wear down faster, I'm not sure I buy that argument
yet. Even the breeder where I bought my filly told me
that (!) Isn't the hoof white just because it lacks
pigment? Not sure how pigment would affect hardness...
Personally I think it probably has alot more to do
with genetics and feeding, than hoof color.

Lysane