Re: [RC] Rider Fitness - Jon . Linderman

People endurance is my bag professionally & I can tell you from experience
that with increased time in the saddle one certainly gets one more fit.  I
remember hanging on for dear life my first 20 mile CTR several years ago,
compared to feeling fresh enuf to go for a run after a 50 this past year.

Related to both rider fitness & maybe a bit about the HW issue I get off
and hike steep hills (up & down) early in the season for my own fitness and
to take some wear-n-tear off the pony.  I will also get off and walk or jog
at times to help my own fitness on training rides.  For example, if I am
coming into camp on a training day when I plan to give my horse a lunch
stop, I'll get off and walk or jog into camp.  He recovers quicker and
seems more ready to dive into the groceries & I stretch my legs & get my my
own HR up.  I am also known to walk out of camp a mile or so before
re-mounting.  As his fitness grows I'll not dismount as many hills, but
perhaps dismount and jog on some flatter terrain to work my own fitness.  I
also tend to jog on foot on the asphalt.  I got a real nice photo this year
from G S-S of me and my horse jogging an asphalt section of arab nationals.
She caught two hooves and two feet in the air.

I don't think you have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness.  A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help.

Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM
Assistant Professor of Health and Sport Science
University of Dayton

                     "V.Roush"

                     <gypsydancer@xxxxxxx>        To:       "RC"
<ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                     Sent by:                     cc:

                     ridecamp-owner@xxxxxx        Subject:  [RC]   Rider
Fitness
                     durance.net

                     02/02/2004 03:45 AM

Well, I finally got Fionn out for some work on Saturday.  He did great,
trotted most of the time (whether I wanted him to or not...he had ants in
his pants:-)  I, however, didn't do so well.  I was fine during the ride
and for the rest of the day, but today I *hurt*!  I'm afraid I need more
work than Fionn does if we're going to be able to do some CTR this year.

So, my question.  Besides time in the saddle, do you guys have any kind of
routine to get yourselves in shape for the season?  I work out (an hour of
weights and an hour on the ski machine or treadmill every other day) but I
was still more sore than usual after having a three hour battle of wills
with my recalcitrant cowpony.  Is there anything else I can do?

- Victoria