[RC] Countdown to Tevis Part 4 - Cowgirgoof

Hi All,

For those of you following this saga...
As you may have seen, the list of Tevis entries are now on Tevis website. I
sure was excited to see my horse and my names. Sure does make it feel real
serious now!
Well, we just finished another 50 down in south Florida at the Piney Pig. This
is a well run ride that is managed by Megan Davis DVM. Lots of great awards and
very organized. She had lots of distances to choose from: 15, 30, 50, 80 & 100.
Unfortunately, the weather was not that kind and it turned out to be a soggy
one. Actually, it felt great, but the trails were very muddy and "trappy".
There were only 18 horses in the 50, so I ended up riding alone for 42 miles.
My horse was not caring too much for that, (and frankly neither was I!), but I
knew it was good "toughening up" stuff for Tevis. I did alot more cantering
than I normally do (only on the roads and not in the mud). By the last loop I
could tell the mud and being alone was getting to him mentally. He was slogging
along at about 6mph. He was definitely having a "woe is me" attitude. His big
old "hiney" was getting fatiqued and I was somewhat concerned. But, like the
trooper he is, he pulled through just fine especially when an 80 miler caught
us on the last loop and he just perked right up and came in strong and sound.
I figured now I know that he might "lie" to me a little when he starts getting
tired at Tevis, but sometimes they just need some mental stimulation too.
I have a plan for both us to get in much better condition in the next few
months (and loose a few lbs).
We have another 50 in two weeks, then in March we are going to Leatherwood
Mountain Extreme which should be a great test for Tevis.
Anyway, just wanted to give that report.
Oh, by the way, we got the turtle award- he just has to get a little faster too!
Becky and Moyle Miles (who ain't no Arab)