[RC] Fence Cutting and Losing Access to Trails -- Laurie Underwood - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Laurie Underwood jimmy@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Fence cutting isn't the only thing which endangers our right to use trails.  In
the Augusta, Georgia area we are extremely fortunate to have access to 1200
acres known as The Hitchcock Woods.  Hitchcock is owned and beautifully
maintained by a private foundation which was established expressly and
exclusively for pedestrian and equestrian access.  There are some folks who are
blessed enough to own a house which provides direct access to the Woods . .  .
but the majority of us trailer there and ride (and are grateful for the
opportunity).  What Hitchcock Woods lacks is parking.  The local natural gas
company and a kind-hearted soul with an equestrian training facility allow us
to park, free of charge, and they used to provide non-potable water from a well
house.  Should be paradise for all concerned, right?  Of course, there are
always some folks who will ruin it for the rest of us.  The gentleman who
allows us access has been cursed out by "day riders" because he requested that
they pick up their trash, not drink beer on his premises and not canter their
horses through the parking area because his riding arena is very close to the
parking area which he allows us to use for free.  The water was left running
one too many times, so the owner disabled the well. Our group routinely picks
up trash left behind by those too lazy to pick up after themselves.  We scatter
manure and pick up hay.  We save our cantering for the trails.  We do
everything we know to do to keep the owners happy.  But I suspect that one day
someone will push too hard and too far, and we'll lose the parking .  . . and
ergo, we'll lose access to all of those miles of lovely trails.

Laurie Underwood