RE: [RC] Hoof-its/Mike Sofen - Mike Sofen

The Hoof-it pour in pad is very easy to use, although the very first time you use it, it will take longer as you figure out how to do it for yourself.  A farrier isn’t needed at all.

It typically takes me about 5 minutes per hoof.  That includes thorough cleaning, prepping strips of duct tape, creating a “dam” or temporary boot with a gap at the back to pour in the stuff, measuring out the two parts of the compound, mixing, pouring into the dam, applying one last piece of duct tape to seal the dam, and putting the foot down on something very flat and smooth (I use the back side of a square of carpet).  You want to make sure that the compound completely fills the dam.  It will leave the frog exposed, but the rest of the sole is filled to just below the steel or plastic horseshoe (I’ve used it with both).

Depending on ambient temperature and how much of Part A and Part B you use (you mix the two parts together), it takes 1-3 minutes to cure.  The horse does need to stay pretty still during that period, but that’s usually not a problem.  A few minutes after it is cured, I remove the duct tape.  It will continue harden for another 30 minutes or so.  It never gets fully hard, it always stays slightly soft, so it has some give/compression and also has some traction (it isn’t slick and hard).

Once installed, the pad stays there until you remove it, which is done using a regular hoof pick and prying it out.

The most abuse I’ve subjected a pad to is during an XP ride where they lasted for 3 days (150 miles) on VERY rocky and abrasive trail.  However, the dust and wind there made the mixing and quiet horse aspects quite difficult – I should have installed the pads before leaving for the ride, because I lost one cup of dry compound to the wind and my horse kept dancing around looking for her pasture mate.

http://www.hoof-it.us   Look for "Hoof repair products", what you'll need is their "Hoof-it II Repair Kit".  They also sell larger refill kits.   I am not affiliated with the company in any way.

Mike

I'm interested in using some type of padding as my horses have gotten a couple minor bruises. Is Hoof-its easy to use? Does the shoer put it in or do you? And how do you remove it? Where do you get it from?

Thanks,

Kathy

Grass Valley, CA