[RC] goethe challenge/thank you - Ed Kilpatrick

a big thanks to pat thomas, helen koehler, and their many volunteers who made this year's goethe challenge a whopping success.    the weather was fantastic and the trails were fabulous.

there were about 140 horses and riders in the three distances, 25, 50, and 100.  completion rates were good. there were 38 starters in the 100, a record number for the goethe challenge.  i did my first 100 ever, on my mustang, gorgeous george.  mary anne maynard was the only rider in our group of five who had 100 miler experience. the rest of us, my niece jackie, tracy, brenda, and i were 100 mile rookies.  we came in together at 1:45 am, in 17th place.
little mary katherine clark (10 years old) rode with us for 30 miles during the night, then had another 15 miles to go after we were done.    she picked up another sponsor and finished at about 5 am.     way to go mary katherine!

my little legs were sore for the next couple of days, but wow!  what a fun ride!  it was as tough as i imagined.        ed