Re: Subject: RE: [RC] [RC] Kids - Mary Ann Spencer

Hoorah for Pete!!!
You have said this quite well!!!  You are VERY correct.  I looked into showing Arabs and then looked at what the QTR horse folks are doing and the QTR horse assoc has a much better way for the children.  Arabian assoc is too expensive for 'the average Arab owner'.  Endurance has been getting more expensive but then so had life.  The children ARE oiur future but they need to be included.  Darolyn Butler's younger daughter started at age 5.  Her older daughter had the opportunity but was not that interested.   All horse activities are time consuming but so much better for overall health, if done safely, than a lot of other activities.  Some sort of organized way to get the beginners in touch with the experienced riders in their area sounds like a GREAT idea.   IHMO, Mary Ann
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 2004 12:10 PM
Subject: Subject: RE: [RC] [RC] Kids

Why don't we just eat them instead! ;-)  Sorry Bob,
but your statement just hit me.

I've endured this thread long enough.  I see this
thread as a symptom of modern America society.  We've
all become too litigious.  We are all too preocupied
with being sued and sueing other people.  It time
people stand up and take responsibility for their own
actions.

Horse back riding can be a dangerous sport.  If you
are concerned about being hurt then you should not
participate or allow you minor children to
participate.  If you do decide to participate you need
to take responsibility for your own safety and the
safety of your children.

What this thread has lost is the fact that our
children are the future of our sport.  If you don't
get them involved early were do you think the future
participants are going to come from?  Very few middle
aged people wake up one day and say "Hey, I'd like to
jump on a horse and spend 8-10hrs in the saddle".  I
bet the majority of riders out there were introduce to
riding before they were 18 years old either by their
parents, through summer camp or a kind neighbor.

I think the current AERC Jr rider sponsor program is a
great program. Take Jr riders who are interested in
learning about the sport and pair them with a more
experienced Sr rider to mentor them.  I agree there
should be no age limit because it is the parents
responsibility to judge if their child is ready and
assume the accountability for their safety.

Let all make a little room on the trail for the kids,
after all they are our future.

Cheers,  Pete in TX
  Solve the problem by not allowing children.

  Bob
  Bob Morris
  Morris Endurance Enterprises
  Boise, ID

All your favorites on one personal page - Try My Yahoo!
http://my.yahoo.com