RE: [RC] Susan Garlinghouse - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

After reading and truely enjoying the Squirrel and
beetpulp story.  Id love to know whatever happened
to William?  Thanks for making me laugh!

William lived to be over seven years old, which I was told is a pretty ripe
old age for a squirrel.  She went with me to Colorado to vet school and
never agreed to join the great outdoors.  During our move to Colorado, we
stopped in Grand Junction and left the cats and squirrel in their carriers
overnight in the truck with the windows halfway down.  The next morning I
went out at 6 a.m. to load up and William had chewed a hole in the bottom of
her carrier, and was stretched out in the sun on the dashboard watching
traffic go by past the open window.  Hard to convince me she would have been
happier wild, given she utterly refused to step foot outside.

Anyway, she eventually was diagnosed with kidney disease, submitted
gracefully to treatment as long as there was coconut involved, and when she
was no longer having any fun, we let her go on her way.  Her ashes are
buried in the memorial garden of the teaching hospital at Colorado State
University, along with her best border collie buddy who tolerated getting
almonds crammed into his ears for so many years.

Glad you enjoyed the story.  I miss answering email without the contents of
my desk drawer getting bulldozed onto the floor every five minutes.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM