Re: [RC] Kids, ponies and distance riding... Get a grip people - Truman Prevatt

If there were additional risk from liability from limits then corporations like Anhiser Bush and Disney woul not use limits on certain rides in their parks. I am sure their corporate legal staff would be well aware of any such thing. Both Bush Gardens and Disney World have age limits on certains rides. They implement the age limits based on size - actually height. As I heard one aggrivated mother being told "if he can walk under this bar standing upright then as far as we are concened he is not 12 years old and can't go on this ride."  Had nothing to do about usurping parental authority it had to do with these companies being responsible citizens of the community and mitigating potential risk to the corporation.

In the case of a very serious injury or death, an incidient might cross the like from a civil issue to one of a criminal issue. This has happened before. A four wheeler flipped on a young kid and killed him - the parents charged with involuntary manslaughter.

Truman

Joe Long wrote:

I've seen several people speculate that the AERC would have more liability if it
had an age limit, but I have seen no opinion on this from an attorney
experienced in child-injury cases (and I don't believe it).  Perhaps if we are
going to use that rationalization as a crutch to avoid our moral responsiblity,
the AERC should at least consult such an attorney and get such an opinion, in
writing?  Hmmm?

--
“Fragile as reason is and limited as law is as the institutionalised medium of reason, that's all we have between us and the t

“Fragile as reason is and limited as law is as the institutionalised medium of reason, that's all we have between us and the tyranny of mere will and the cruelty of unbridled, undisciplined feelings.”  Felix Frankfurter