Re: [RC] cold weather - Mary Ann Spencer

If nothing else, horse needs LOTS of good quality HAY during the cold time/s.  Back in TX and now here in S CA, seems the weather takes crazy turns.  One day my horse eats POUNDS and POUNDS of hay and then with the warmer weather about hay of that.  I like to keep my horses on free choice good quality hay which is usually bermuda.  The boarding place gives out about 2 leaves of mixed alfalfa twice a day and he is always out.  Since I started adding the bermuda his dispostion has improved and he put on good wt.  The hay belly also helps with those uphill climbs.  AND he is happier. There is no real windblock so have been putting on a 'cover' depending on the degree of cold.  With a cover he eats less hay.   Temps will determine light vs heavy cover.  Today it was past 70 so he got a hose off after a very sweaty workout.  Use common since.  Too many don't feed enough hay, IMHO.  mas