[RC] cougar vocalizations online - Dawn Simas

<<but thanks Dawn so much for educating us....helps keep people safe....>>

Sounds like your friend had an awesome sight with the cougar on a rock.  I rode from Rattlesnake to Auburn Saturday, guess I was a day too early.  I was born in Auburn and have been riding these trails my whole life and yet to see one.  But as I said, they are a new generation of cats and are bolder/desensitized now, so someday.

However, on Wendell's Training Hill one day I did *hear* one within 30 feet in the dense shrubbery there.  I was tailing my horse, so was a bit shaken by that and of course mounted up and released the safety on my pepper spray.  It was a female calling (either in heat or for her cubs), so I figure she was more interested in calling than hunting (a cat wouldn't be vocalizing if they are hunting).

BTW: Ttheir normal vocalizations are a birdlike chirp and/or purr.  We are all familiar from the movies of their scream (which really only happens when they are breeding, very upset or startled, or if you step on their tail :)),.  This is not the equivelent of meowing, which your cat obviously does more than it screams.  So, if you want to become familiar with this sound, go to our website in my signature and click on Our Cats and then click on Apache.  That's our cougar and I recorded his vocalizations, along with a female in heat that was here.

Dawn

Ms. Dawn Simas
Director - Wild About Cats
Wild Feline Conservation, Education, and Rescue