[RC] dawn's timely message/encounters - Kathie Ford

Hi all, just wanted to drop a note to say I'm enjoying all the posts regarding wildlife encounters..some interesting some scary.

also want to publicly thank Dawn for sharing and educating...it came in handy for a neighbor mine so thought I'd mention this.

Last night I forwarded what she had shared and today he rode at the Auburn Overlook in CA...and low and behold he saw his first cougar while riding his older horse!  Really weird timing wise..first he gets my email..then runs into one.

He said it was by the Coffer damn area (where you can ride on sundays) and was sunning itself on a rock..said it did nothing but stared at them..so he was lucky...

I personally have had serveral which were interesting..one walked up my driveway shortly after we moved here  .my daughter had just been down at the bus stop by our house half hour prior..that made me a little concerned...I only noticed the cat when I noticed the behavior of my horses change and become alert. My mare, the alpha had been laying down  but I saw that she had her head held high with her ears perked...definitely got my attention..so I continue to watch from my front window....when I saw another of my horses walk over and stand next to her with the same _expression_ I really kept watching..then another horse and then she got up...three of my horses were all now standing straight in line, ears perked very forward and staring down the driveway.  neither even flinched..Okay..so I go outside and follow their line of sight and low and behold I see some big brown paws.and then that face...I just stared at it not really believing what I was looking at...then my youngest mare at the time (3 y/o and bold) took a step forward...I yelled at her to "stand" and then the cat noticed me...about 150 yards away..we just stared at each other and I will not forget the look..it was afraid of nothing, like it was studying me...I turned and went into my house, than thought...my horses are out there...and went back out...it had gone into my neighbors yard so I got to call him and say "guess what?.."

I had another stalk a friend of mine and myself in Bel Gatos park in Los Gatos...had to report that one to the ranger as it had followed us down to a kids playground area and there were some areas full of brush and berrybushes next to the play lot...

A neighbor and I spotted a coyote in our neighborhood that actually turned and took a step towards us...very odd behavior I thought...

I think it is good to be aware of what is around us and still be able to ride safely..we have to just be alert I think...and prepared just in case..the worst that ever happened to me on horseback though, was an attack by my neighbors dog...actually eventually bit my horses front legs...thankfully she is very bold and was with me the whole time..we were in it together until the guy got the dog...my horse did so well going thru that and not paniking I got all choked up on the way home...I was overwhelmed by her bravery and good mind to keep us both safe,

oh, this is a good one...had a turkey fly right under my horses nose once!  Up until that point I never knew they could actually fly a bit!  LOL!

lots of fun...

but thanks Dawn so much for educating us....helps keep people safe....

kathie