[RC] "Tar-covered" Butt - Jillcohndc

Hi Folks,
    My older mare, who is Insulin Resistant and heading into her 23rd year, has had what looked like black poop on her butt and back legs for about 10 days.  She seems normal, her poops look good and I can't figure out what's the problem.  Tried to hose it off today and the texture was like a thick, tarry substance.  She gets only grass hay and plenty of it and is supplemented with beet pulp ( a pound) and maybe an ounce at most of rice bran, daily.  No grazing, carrots, nothing.  Her energy level was normal on our ride today (3 hours--beautiful, sunny day!).  So, any ideas?  I'd sure appreciate your thinking.
    Jill Cohn in Berkeley, CA