Re: [RC] about vets and feet - heidi

Whoa, 9 CREDIT hours and 9 hrs. are two totally different things! Now
that I think about it, if a vet spends "9 credit hours" then that's 3
hrs. a week for a semester = 18 weeks....3x18=54 hrs...so 9 credit hours
would be 162 hrs. of class time? That sounds like a lot, but it sounded
like Heidi was talking 9 HOURS for the dog & cat vets.

I was taking Lori's 9 hours at face value, as it's been a quarter of a
century since I was in veterinary school--but I can darn sure say that we
got quite a bit more time on hooves than we did on equine dentistry!

Another thing that Lori did not take into account is that there is a whole
lot of the rest of one's veterinary education that helps one to understand
hooves--including such subjects as cell physiology, general physiology,
cardiovascular physiology, understanding how such chemicals as histamines,
etc. affect circulation, and on and on and on.  It is difficult to break a
veterinary education down into so many hours of this and that, since
everything is interconnected.

Additionally, a veterinary education (hopefully) teaches aspiring
veterinarians to learn how to learn.  Veterinary education is not unique
in this respect, but any vet worth his or her salt will be actively
learning for life.  So--a veterinarian who has been practicing in a
particular field for several years can hardly be considered to have "only"
the education with which they came out of veterinary school, or even
"only" the education gleaned from school plus the hours spent at CE
meetings.  Experience is also a great teacher, as are colleagues.

Heidi