Re: [RC] Wildlife encounters - RDCARRIE

Had an encounter with a covey of quail today.  Not many of them around here due to the habitat not being right.  Anyhow, General and I were trotting along on our 22.3 mile road loop, down a dirt road.  There was pasture on the left, and open scrubby woods on the right.  Suddenly a covey of about 12 quail exploded from the edge of the woods and scattered into the woods, crashing through the tree branches.  General hit the brakes and shot left, then bolted, then hit the brakes again and spun 180 degrees to the right to look back at what "attacked" him.  I didn't have too much trouble staying on, but all of those speed and direction changes in such a short time really torqued my lower back.  Uggh...thank goodness for Advil!  Of course, had I been on my gelding Chivas, I'd have been on the ground, so I'll take the sore back!  <G>

Dawn in East Texas (who was *not* expecting quail!)