RE: [RC] [RC] more on hoof problems - terry banister

If you had a horseshoer trim your horses feet, you may want to get a second opinion from a certified barefoot trimmer, because there are s;ubtle difference between a regular "pasture" trim that is done for putting on a shoe, and what is done for permanent barefoot lifestyle.

When horseshoes are put on, the hoof becomes dependent on them. If you remove them, the hoof is usually soft and tender. There is a transition time for toughening up the hoof after removing shoes(months). After you get a second opinion on your horse's feet, and if they are declared OK, get some hoof boots to help with the first year of transition (It can take almost a year for a new hoof to grow out).

And if you are going to have your horse barefoot, do at least read Pete Ramey's book so that you have some understanding as to what you are doing and why. There are many books and websites on the topic, but I refer to Ramey's book as a starting point because his is nontechnical, down-to-earth and has many clear pictures. If his concept agrees with you, show it to your trimmer of choice and see if they agree with it, so that you can both be on the same page.
Terry

"May the Horse be with you"