[RC] more on hoof problems - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Sheryl WA_trailrider@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have had my Appy mare about 8 months.  She has had good hooves in that time -
farrier always said so anyway.  Well, sometimes after a shoeing she would be a
little "ouchy" for a day or two on the front but that was it.  About a month or
so ago she got a suspected abcess on her hind left.  I say suspected because I
never saw where it erupted, but after soaking and a little time the swelling
went away and she seemed to recover fine.  Experienced horse people at the
barn, including the trainer, was pretty sure it was an abcess.  Anyway, I
waited a week after she looked totally sound to start working her slowly.  She
seemed okay for a couple of weeks but then tonight I noticed that she seems
"sore" on the front.  Other people that were in the arena tonight thought I was
crazy since they don't see it, but I know my horse and she is just a little off
and acts uncomfortable on her feet.  She was just trimmed (no shoes) 4 days ago
and I thought maybe she was ouchy from that, but it sure seems a long time.

Anyway, my question is this - should I have shoes put back on?  Life was good
until I decided to let her go barefoot.  She did great the first 4-5 weeks of
being barefoot, the problems have been since then.  Right now she is ridden in
an arena only (winter) but they do walk a soft gravel path on the runway to the
turn out.  I don't mind shoeing her over the winter, just seemed unnecessary
since we only ride 1-2X a week on pretty soft ground.

So here is another fact - may be totally unrelated - her nature   has been a
little on the "worried" and "fast" side (nothing crazy, but certainly not lazy)
but has been much mellower and downright bombproof the last month or two.  I
like the personality change, the more relaxed headset etc. (or maybe all that
work I have done is starting to finally sink in) but am worried about the hoof
situation right now.  Any ideas?

thanks!