[RC] Internet stranger, the expert - Sarah Simmons

Most "experts" out in the field of their profession do
not come home and give advice to people on internet
special interest groups.  They don't have the time.

So we are left with "self-appointed experts",
often-times alarmists, who although they mean well,
they are only sharing what worked in their experience
with one or two horses; they are not an "expert" as in
"seen hundreds or thousands of different cases".

I ask for advice on the internet all the time, however
alarm bells go off when a complete stranger tells me
"You *NEED* to do this or you *NEED* to do that".  I
think, How are you an expert?  Have you seen
multitudes of different cases and experiences?  Or are
you just an expert because of your dealings with one
or a handful of horses from your past?

The internet is surely a good source for information,
as well as misinformation.  It is also a place where
anyone who had a problem with one of their horses once
where the problem seems remotely like the problem you
might be having with your horse becomes an "instant
expert".

I personally would prefer the advice of professionals
who spend their days (often 12 hour ones at that)
dealing with different horses with different problems
and different experiences than that of any "self
appointed expert".

Just remember to take a complete stranger with no
notable credentials saying, "You've *GOT TO* do
this..." with a grain of salt.

Just like you would think twice about an auto mechanic
telling you, "You *NEED TO* feed your lame horse 2 gms
bute twice a day, because, after all, it's just like
aspirin, and you can take aspirin every day yourself
for years, can't you?  In fact I heard on the news
it's good for you!"

*sigh*

OK off my soap box now.

Sarah