[RC] mule vs. cougar - Dawn Simas

That series of photos are on the Urban Legends website now being investigated (www.snopes.com). I suspect that story is a hoax.  It said that the rider was "tossed", but notice that he apparently had time to take his rifle with him (empty scabbard).  And many of my colleagues have noticed that there looks to be a leghold trap on the lion's leg.  There certainly is something that doesn't seem to belong to the mule's bridle/reins.  Odds are the hunters were hunting lion (those dogs in the background are what lion hunters use) and gave it to the mule.

I still find it interesting that the mule still did what he did.  I do believe the pics are real.  But it does make sense as we have always suggested using donkeys (and llamas) as predator protection with livestock herds.  They are very good defenders and will readily stand their ground and/or attack.

Ms. Dawn Simas
Director - Wild About Cats
Wild Feline Conservation, Education, and Rescue