Re: [RC] horse feet - gary affleck

The only example I've seen on steel toed boots crushing toes was back in 1969.  Was a photographer onboard the aircraft carrier Constellation.  In the Tonkin Gulf.  You know that little war we had over in Viet Nam.  They were pulling an F-4 Phantom with a plane mover, at about a mile an hour.  The plane captain saw something he didn't like and stepped under by the wheel to hit something with a pry bar.  The wheel rolled over his foot.  I got called up to take pictures of the operation.  It crushed the steel toe  on his shoe, pulled it off and took all the flesh off his foot and left the bones.  They had to take his foot just in front of the ankle.  I doubt that a horse that weighs 1000# could crush a steel toe by just stepping on it.  Maybe if the horse got really pissed and went up on his hinds and came down with an attitude could he crush it to do that damage.  Check with the manufacturer, they have gotta have specs on the shoes.  G.Affleck
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2004 8:59 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] horse feet

"...Oh, are steel toed shoes safe?  My husband wants me to get some. I wonder why? I have been told if you get stepped on with steel toes the steel will bend and amputate your toes. ..."

That rumor has been around for at least 40 years.  It is often used by industrial workers who don't want to wear the required steel toed shoes required by OSHA.  OSHA doesn't buy that.  The required crush resistance of the steel toed shoes is much greater than the strength of you toes.  If something much heavier than a horse (say a freight train) ran over and crushed a steel toe on a boot, your toes would have been amputated anyway.

The other excuse is that steel toes are cold in the winter.  That one is true.  You can purchase shoes/boots with OSHA approved hard toes made from plastic now.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875