RE: [RC] Riding amongst wildlife - R & M Dorchester

Title: “Fragile as reason is and limited as law is as the institutionalised medium of reason, that's all we have between us and the t

Where I live there are lots of deer (muledeer and whitetail), elk, moose, wolves, bears, cougars and an assortment of smaller stuff like lynx, fox, fishers etc.  It’s unusual not to see something when we ride.  My endurance horse who doesn’t like to share his food with anyone, has adopted a little whitetail doe and he will let her share his hay and beetpulp.  I don’t worry about wild life on the trail, what I worry about his how many little whitetail butts I’m going to see sticking out from under the hay tarp when I drive in the yard at night!!

Mary-Anne

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Truman Prevatt
Sent: December 17, 2004 5:47 AM
To: Dabney Finch
Cc: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Re: [RC] Riding amongst wildlife

I've been riding in the forest many times before deer season and run accross hunters out spotting for deer. Normally they haven't seen anything and are groussing that "there are no deer in this forest." I'm not sure they believe me when I tell them that I'd seen two herds of 10 to 15 each in the last hour. I see deer all the time when I ride. I've had deer lope along beside us. So I suspect they don't fear horses.

Truman

Dabney Finch wrote:

A hunter once told me he could get closer to wildlife on a horse than on the ground, because the smell of the horse covered up the smell of the human to wildlife.  (Apparently to wildlife, the smell of a horse is not anywhere near as obnoxious as the smell of a human... Come to think of it, I'd have to agree with the wildlife on that....)

So maybe we get better sightings than mere hikers or bikers, eh?  Sure sounds like it from all the wonderful sighting stories I've been reading here lately!

--

“Fragile as reason is and limited as law is as the institutionalised medium of reason, that's all we have between us and the tyranny of mere will and the cruelty of unbridled, undisciplined feelings.”   Felix Frankfurter