Re: [RC] Kids, ponies and distance riding - Karla Watson

Well you have a kid that could handle the 50s the first time out. Thats very cool and quite amazing. Many kids I know around camp start out with the 25s. They don't get as tired and are more willing to come back and do it again.
----------Karla Watson/Portland, Oregon
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2004 1:00 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Kids, ponies and distance riding

I don't know if that's so or not, but I will say that both times that my daughter had problems it was at the beginning of the ride. The second half of the fifty went smoothly both times. If she'd only done an LD she might have assumed the next twenty five miles would have been worse which wasn't necessarilly the case. I gave her the option of an LD but she flatly refused. She'd been going to endurance rides since she was 18 months old. Crewing as soon as she could hold a sponge or walk a horse. She'd done plenty of 25 mile training rides and had been dying to do a 50 for as long as she could remember. She saw no reason to do a 25 when her horse was an experienced 50-mile horse. Had she done her first ride on her Welsh Pony (which we never did get trustworthy enought to compete) she would have done LD and been happy to do it.

Fifty was hard. It took a few rides for us to find that she had hydration problems which we had to deal with. It finally took me having the same problem at a ride to understand what she was going through...try doing endurance when you feel like you *really* need to go to the bathroom but can't! The cure wasn't age, it was cranberry juice. :-)

Angie