Re: [RC] [RC] LD snobbery - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have Jeanie - twice! The first was at a White River Ride. I
was shocked! My husband took this woman to town, helped her get
a new wheel bearing for her truck and installed the wheel
bearing for her - all he asked for was $10 for gas. When he was
done and she was ready to head back to Indiana she looked at me
and said - the next time I see you at a ride you had better be
doing 50s. That was only the second ride I had ever been to. <<

Obviously you were there and therefore your interpretation is
probably better than anyone elses, but is it possible you took
her comment wrong?  My gut reaction is that she was being friendly
and encouraging.  But, hey, I wasn't there for tone of voice,
etc.

But, it reminds me of my second post-injury LD with my mare.
During the final vetting, the vet (known for being very tough)
asked why on earth I wasn't on the 50 this mare (who looked like
she'd just gone around the block, not 25 miles).  I explained
about her having had a bowed tendon.  He asked me to trot out
and then announced "tendon's fine... do 50s with her."  I didn't
take that to mean he was putting me down for doing LDs (all I'd
done up to that point), but that he thought my horse should be
doing more.  I was thrilled to hear that sort of thing, not
insulted!

The next time was at Allegan. I had caught up with a woman
doing a 50 mile comp and my horse slowed to her pace and she
wouldn't even speak to me, after about a mile we came to a
trough that a neighbor had put out by the road for everyone to
use - well the woman finally spoke to me she said - back off
I'm doing a 50 - being a newby I waited for her horse to drink
first, then she didn't even have the decency to wait for my
horse to drink before she took off. I had to dismount and wait
for her to get out of site before my mare would even look at
the trough again. <<

Oh, rude people are everywhere.  I would say someone like that
would be rude no matter what distance she was going or you were
going.  People barging in front at water and then riding off
happen.  I've met them.  They stand out in your mind since most
folks aren't that way, so when it happens it's too easy to get
upset about it.  Just remember you're out there to have fun.  If
someone else is not having fun -- and rude behavior is a clear
sign of that -- just try not to take it personally and get on
with your ride.  I really wouldn't take this as "LD bashing" or
anything like that.  I'd just chalk it up to a rude rider.

~Nicole (who should be packing and is procrastinating)