Re: [RC] [RC] Fitness - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 12/15/2004 7:22:43 AM Central Standard Time, rene.acker@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

the 2 most important
things I learned was:

  Remember to have fun with this, it doesn't have to be a job.  If you
  only ride weekends and then want to do a 25 miler, you should have no
  problem, just don't be in a hurry to finish; "ride your own ride".
  (This is exactly why I'm interested in endurance, I'm tired of
  showing/competing)
  Your horse should be prepared for the terrain it will encounter on a
  ride, so if your going to the mountains, yes, you should be riding your
  horse on like terrain as much as possible, but "flat work" will still
  help keep your horse fit.

Sounds like you picked up the important stuff.  :)  And when you do your LDs, as several other folks have said, then *those* rides become conditioning rides as well.  :)   Just don't let your horse's brain control the pace.  Horses will tell you they're in shape to go faster at a ride than you've been doing during conditioning.  They're lying.  Ride like you condition, and you'll get there.

Dawn