[RC] Kids, ponies and distance riding - Nancy Reed

I have had the pleasure of taking several juniors to both NATRC (CTR) and endurance rides.  I like to start at the NATRC level so the juniors learn to do all of it.  I do help more than I should, but the local NATRC gang is very supportive and helpful.  My juniors are all over 10 years old and have 2 to 4 years of riding under their belts.  At home we start sending them out as a group without an adult on the home trails with walkie talkies and cell phones.  We also like to do a horse camp before a CTR or an endurance ride.

Several times I have had to get sponsors for my juniors as I only have a 2 horse trailer.  That has worked out much better than I thought as my juniors really had to be good!  All in all my juniors have only had wonderful experiences on rides and they are better equestrians and people for it.  I think you need to know what your child will be able to handle and plan accordingly.  This is no different than bringing along a new horse, the principals are the same.  Good luck and have fun!  Happy Holidays to you and your juniors,

Nancy Reed

Lazy J Ranch

Elfin Forest, CA

PS Our neighbor Corrine has a naughty pony that will roll if given the chance.  She did it in October in front of the judges at a water stop.  It was so funny, that pony can roll in about 2 square feet!