Re: [RC] LDs - Kari Hanes

I have Jeanie - twice! The first was at a White River Ride. I was shocked! My husband took this woman to town, helped her get a new wheel bearing for her truck and installed the wheel bearing for her - all he asked for was $10 for gas. When he was done and she was ready to head back to Indiana she looked at me and said - the next time I see you at a ride you had better be doing 50s. That was only the second ride I had ever been to. The next time was at Allegan. I had caught up with a woman doing a 50 mile comp and my horse slowed to her pace and she wouldn't even speak to me, after about a mile we came to a trough that a neighbor had put out by the road for everyone to use - well the woman finally spoke to me she said - back off I'm doing a 50 - being a newby I waited for her horse to drink first, then she didn't even have the decency to wait for my horse to drink before she took off. I had to dismount and wait for her to get out of site before my mare would even look at the trough again. Having a new horse and a bad leg I've been trying to stay with what we can handle. Maybe the gelding I have in training will be a 50 mile horse, but it wont be until he's ready. So there are "snobs" out there but there are way outnumbered by the decent folk who just want to ride and encourage others to do the same.

Kari
Montalee Arabians
Holton, MI

larry Miller wrote:
I have yet to see anyone put down an LD rider in MI or anywhere else!  No matter what one does, one is out on trail, visiting with friends, and enjoying the comradeship of a good horse.  25 miles can be a challenge, especially if one hurts, if the horse is young, if the training homework wasn't done, etc.  I find them wonderful since I can come back, visit, clean up, nap, and eat ice cream to my heart's content.  My body loves them too.  Jeanie