Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 3:16 PM
Subject: [RC] LD and AERC

I have been reading the posts about LD here, and had given the whole issue a
lot of thought before now.  I have done mostly LD and have had a great time and
enjoyed a lot of support form almost everyone I have met along the way.  If I
thought that the only way I could ride was to do 50 or more miles I would have
never started.

My first ride was the first time I had gone 25 miles on a horse.  We were
overtime and I did not care.. I knew how far 25 miles was and learned a lot.

One of the things that is hardest to learn about endurance doing LD is how to
pace for the longer distance.  Your horse has know idea how far you are going
when you start the day... it could be 10, 25, 50, maybe 100.

One idea that I had for LD, that I believe is in the spirit of LD's being a
good training experience, was to set a time window for BC.  Anyone could go as
fast as they wanted to, but for BC you would have to complete within a window
that the ride manager and head vet decide would be a good pace if you were
going to be going a longer distance.  This does not diminish the stature of LD
at all.  It just helps to put an incentive for people to learn how to ride the
longer distance.

Don't get me wrong, I think anyone who comes and rides any distance and has a
good time, helps others, and takes care of there horse deserves to be commended.

When I started I thought that I would never do anything over a LD.  I just want
to spend more time on the trail with my horse now.

I look forward to other points of view.

Jannelle Wilde & Adam Falk
Menagerie Farm
584 Romie Howard Rd