RE: [RC] Horses and yogurt - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

Thanks Susan G. for the advice on yogurt.  Couple of questions:

Looking for a brand that has live acidophilus(?) cultures, right?

I feed Mountain High, which I have been able to find both in Colorado and
California, dunno if it's elsewhere.  The back label should tell you if its
live culture.

Do horses like it, or do you need to mix it into something?

Most seem to like it, especially the fruit flavors.  Mine will grudgingly
eat citrus flavors, but fight over cherry or vanilla.  Don't ask me if they
prefer custard style or fruit on the bottom. :-)

 Always give
it to the dogs, any time they have "runny butt" and they love it - it
works in a very short time - never tried it on horses.

Give it a try.  I had a client with a post surgical colitis that just
wouldn't clear up (read: runny butt) even on probiotics.  Tried live culture
yogurt instead and the cow flops dried up overnight.

How much should I feed?

My highly tested and impeccably derived scientific dosing formula <not> is
to eat the top half of an eight ounce carton and hand out the bottom half.
If it's the mule whose turn it is to get yogurt, then she tends to barge in
and snatch the whole doggone thing.  Maybe her innate nutrition instincts
have told her she has more of a lactobacillus deficiency, or maybe she's
just a big, fat pig that likes yogurt.  I haven't figured out which yet.

If I'm dispensing from a quart carton, then everybody gets a big fat
spoonful, plus whatever they can shamelessly poach from the horse next to
them.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM