Re: [RC] GPS, another question - Joe Long

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 15:56:15 -0800, mtnriderII@xxxxxxxxx (Mary Sutliff) wrote:

This is a really good question!  I live in western Washington and our
GPS is very unreliable in the forest.  Some places it gets a good signal
and then we go for quite aways with no signal.  This causes very
inconsistant readings and lots of inacurrances.

What model do you have, and how old is it?  The newer high-end units with a
quad-helix antenna are quite sensitive and work a lot better in forest or deep
canyons than older ones from only a few years ago.  None are perfect, if the
foliage is heavy enough the signal just can't get through, but the newer units
are pretty good.  Look for "quad helix antenna" on the specs when considering a
purchase.  (BTW, that's one drawback to the wrist models, they have a small
antenna.)  It also helps to carry it in such a way that the antenna has the best
"view" of the sky (down in a coat pocket isn't good).

The one I use can be seen at  http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60cs/  It
includes a feature call WAAS which gives it accuracy down to ten feet.  Not long
ago I loaded the waypoints of the corners of a 23-acre piece of property I was
going to look at (I got the latitude/longitude from an aerial photo). At each
corner, when I got to where the GPS told me the corner was, the survey flag was
within a few feet of where I was standing.  I've found bench marks with it the
same way, it will take me to within a few feet of the marker.

If elevation is important to you, get one with a barometric altimeter.  GPS
elevation is not as accurate as barometric.  You have to calibrate the
barometric altimeter to the barometric pressure, but that's easy to do (if you
don't know the pressure, you can set it to a known altitude; any contour line
will do).  Also, a standard GPS will not tell you compass direction when you're
standing still -- it will only tell you which direction you're moving.  One with
an electronic compass will give you accurate compass headings even when you are
not moving.  In the Garmin model numbers, the "c" stands for a color display,
and "s" for barometric altimeter and electronic compass.

This is my third GPS, and the first one I've really used other than a plaything.
The first two didn't have enough sensitivity, no color screen, no barometric
altimeter or electronic compass.  I find the color screen REALLY makes a big
difference, you can read the info off of it so much more easily (and you get
more effective detail for the screen size).  I strongly recommend a color
screen.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx