Re: [RC] GPS Question - Joe Long

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 04:37:57 -0800 (PST), Kelly <keliy23@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello, I am looking into purchasing a gps system and
would like to get some advice to what would best suit
me. I do alot of trail blazing and would like
something that can hold memory of trails and maybe
even have some kind of connectability to a computer
(that is optional though). Also looking for something
that keep up with my speed (estimate of course), and
tell me the amount of time I have been riding. (or
basically a clock). Any ideas or suggestions?

I use a Garmin GPSmap 60cs.  It is a hand-held unit, not as convenient as the
wrist-watch styles, but it does everything.  It has a color screen, lots of
memory, USB computer connection, a barometric altimeter and electronic compass
(so you can tell direction even when you are not moving).  It will not only tell
you how far you've gone, but your time and average speed moving, your overall
average speed, and your time stopped.  It will tell you your maximum and current
speed.  It will make altitude profiles of your route or track.  It has a very
sensitive antenna and works well even in deep canyons and under tree cover.

You can buy maps on CD-ROM and download them into the GPS, although the detail
is not as great as on the more detailed paper maps.  I also have the National
Geographic CD-ROM maps and can transfer waypoints and routes between the GPS and
the computer maps.  Just today I traced out a route on a NG map (on my computer
screen) of a trail I want to ride, then downloaded the waypoints into the GPS.
The NG program will not only profile the elevation of the trail, it will tell
you how many feet you went uphill, how many downhill, and the net gain/loss.
You can even buy an accessory that will "talk" to you while driving in your car,
telling you where to turn to get where you're going.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx