[RC] kids and ponies - larry Miller

My daughter was 9 when I took her on her first ride, a 25 miler.  She did all the training herself, she took care of the pony at the ride.  Lucky, or Plucky Lucky, was a great pony.  She was 11 hands and took care of her kids.  Sally Ann could control her though and that was very important to me.  Sally Ann wanted to come and do the ride with mom too and that also was important.  When my son was about 7, he rode Lucky and Sally Ann rode Starsky, a 13 hand pony.  Both kids conditioned their ponies and both kids handled the care of the animals with mom's help at the ride.  The only problem that I had was that I put heat bumps on my horse's back from turning around so much to check up on the kids.  My kids knew how to ride, they weren't afraid to canter thru skinny tree lined trails, and I could have turned both of them loose with other riders.  The most humorous thing that occurred was when my son was Reserve Grand Champion of a 30 mile competitive ride(he was 7), not only did he beat mom, but he placed higher on Lucky than his sister ever did.  She was so mad, all she could growl was, "I trained that pony and he TOOK Reserve Champion"!  Too funny, I still have the picture of that kid on my wall with all his winnings.  Sally Ann rode with me all through her high school years except when band took priority.  Shane went on to be the best crew that a mom could ever have.  Absolutely the greatest memories that I have.  Jeanie