Re: [RC] Kids, ponies and distance riding - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

I'd like some information from experienced parents on how and when kids can
handle distance riding.    What worked?  What didn't?  Is there something
you wish you hadn't done?

I've started 2 juniors who each went 1000 miles. One was 11, one was 10. I
don't want to take an extremely small child out there and expose them to some
of the out of control horses others may be on, so that affects my decision of
who is ready as much as whether they can handle their own horse. My juniors
started on horses that had 500 and 1500 miles of competition respectively, and
I felt would be safe at the start. The distance wasn't as much of a factor as
the start. The 11 year old did one LD (only because the horse I was sponsoring
her on wasn't fit for a 50 yet) but did her first 50 a few weeks later. The 10
year old started in a 50. I felt more confident in 50's simply because I knew
most of them,their horses, and knew who to avoid. Both kids did fine in 50's,
got tired, but learned how to handle it and were both fine by their 2 or 3rd
ride and looked much better than I did afterwards (ah youth!)

If you want to start well after the pack with your kid on a pony that may not
be particularly speedy, *know* the route. I was once at a ride where a woman
was sponsoring a whole string of the cutest little kids on ponies, well behind
the pack...seems safe, right? EXCEPT, that she was approaching the finish line
the first time right when the 50's were finishing. The front runners were
racing through the woods within a half mile of the finish and suddenly came up
on all these little tykes on ponies. What a nightmare!

I guess if I'd had a horse I truly trusted I might have started my daughter at
8, but there wasn't one I trusted around at that time. 10 felt plenty early to
me, and I took her to a multi-day and did day 2 when the start was really calm.

As far as things I'd warn you about...I'll just say a pet peeve of mine is when
adults have the nicest saddles that line them up well and fit the horse, etc.
then the poor little kids are stuck on 12" western pony saddles that have
buckles rubbing them, (non-safety)stirrups out in front, etc. Give the kids a
break. If you expect them to ride more than a few circles around a pony ride
ring, get them some decent equipment. And for goodness sakes, if you've got a
tolerant beginners horse don't punish him with a kid jabbing his mouth through
an endurance ride...wait till the kid can give the poor horse a decent ride. :-)

Angie