[RC] Kids, ponies and distance riding - Mike & Laurie Hilyard

Anyone up for a topic that isn't LD vs. everyone else on the planet?

I'd like some information from experienced parents on how and when kids can handle distance riding.    What worked?  What didn't?  Is there something you wish you hadn't done? Something your are glad that you did do?  How far and how long did your child ride before you took them to their first event?  Many moons ago, Edie Booth said she wouldn't let Robin ride in an event until he could use both hands and both legs to signal his pony, not just be a passenger.  Obviously, every kid is different.  I saw Ceci Butler riding 50s as a six year old, but have also seen kids that refuse to even come to a ride after being pushed.  Up until they hit puberty, Deb Bosma used to bring a trailerload of kids and appys to the Michigan rides.

Last summer we traded in a quiet (but too wide) horse for a pony, which has greatly helped my 5 year old son be more independent with his riding.  She does what I call "pony tricks", like drifting over to stand by the gate if he isn't actually giving her definite signals, but she sticks close to my horse when we're out of the small pen, and has never bucked, bolted, kicked or nipped.  Unfortunately, my horse is a little too insecure to pony from (doesn't like ropes dangling by his side), so Mitch has to be his own rider.  (Hmm, maybe that should be Fortunately) .

Anyway, Fergie is about 11 hands, more hackney-type than shetland, and has a walk fast enough to keep up with my 14.2 Arab.  How far has anyone taken their kids' ponies? Jeannie, how far did Heather the creep go?

Thanks, Laurie in Clare, MI