[RC] LD vs 50 debate - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Lauretta tikitiki69@xxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

As someone who just finished her first year of AERC riding, I just don't get
this debate.  When you go on a ride, are you really so upset about how many
miles you are or aren't doing, or the opinion of a bunch of other riders you
don't even know that it keeps you up at night? I thought the point was to ride
YOUR OWN ride, and who cares if it is a 25, 50, or any other mileage?  I myself
have entered only 25 and 30's this last year; I am working up to 50's.  At any
rides, and even in talking w/ other riders (some new, some old, some who have
just started into the sport like me and some who get a Tevis buckle on a
regular basis) I have heard some very personal OPINIONS as to why this
particular person would or would not do a ride smaller than a 50, but it has
been a discussion only, and on some accounts we have agreed to disagree,
listened to each other's viewpoints (you never know when you might learn
something new by listening) and then WENT ON.  Regardless of who it was or what
the view, I have to say that I have never been treated with anything but
encouragement and constructive criticism by people who were just as darned
happy to get the hell out of the house as I was, were just enjoying being out
with their horse, and having the added benefit of being with others who felt
the same.  The competitiveness of the ride and prize incentive for placing was
an added reason for those who were into that sort of thing.  But again, I
haven't seen anyone who was criticized for either being competitive rather than
just wanting to enjoy the day and go for a completion, or vice versa.  The ONLY
time I see a problem is if there is an issue out on the trail itself, with
someone being rude or overriding their horse.  I was guilty of this myself; and
on one of my first rides was scolded by another rider for cantering up some
rock I had no business cantering up, but was being inexperienced and stupid
and, in retrospect, needed the reprimand (my horse and I were just caught up in
the moment and I needed a reality check).  But this was just a rider talking to
another rider, and at no time do I ever see someone asking 'What distance are
you doing?' before deciding to let loose an offhand comment or decide to be
unkind to anyone. It is a momentary issue happening between two riders, who may
or may not be doing the same ride.  Doesn't matter where you are or what you
are doing, someone will eventually display bad manners; there's always one.
Why can't we all just RIDE, and thank the powers that be that you and the horse
are well at the end of it, and take the time to appreciate the scenery and the
company of the others that are pretty much looking for the same thing that you
are.  Just ride..and leave the namecalling and ulcers out of it.