Re: [RC] LD What's the real issue? - heidi

Bruce, your post is one of the better ones I've read on this subject.
Bravo!  I'd just like to comment about the following:

3) I have yet to
hear or read an argument regarding the LD "issue" that didn't, after
some examination, prove to have as a main motivating factor, the
recognition (or perceived lack thereof) brought to the rider. I would
suggest that the enthusiasm of "Jason's" comments imply that his ego is
bruised and throbbing due to the fact that the present system doesn't
seem to be providing recognition in a manner and measure that would
satisfy him. Ironic, as it is the very ego of
those who ride greater distances that he sees as the blockade to him
garnering the recognition he so very badly needs to feel an integral
part of this sport.

This is, indeed, the crux of the matter.  One of the hard lessons I
learned long ago about people is that when they accuse you of something,
it is usually because they suffer from that problem themselves.  I learned
the hard way that a husband that accuses his wife of having an affair does
so because he himself is having one.  I learned the hard way that people
who attack your best capabilities do so because they are not confident of
their own ability to be capable.  And you have hit the nail on the head
here--those whose egos get in the way and get bruised have to accuse
others who make the rules of having an ego problem.  This sort of
self-denial is unfortunately an all-too-common aspect of human nature, and
it rears its ugly head in all sorts of circumstances.  It is a normal
phase of adolescence--children almost always think that they know more
than their parents, and want to take on adult situations.  But while most
folks outgrow this tendency, a surprising number do not.  In the context
of this discussion, this tendency is very similar to wanting the
privileges of, say, a college degree when one has just finished high
school.  The bosses who want you to have some college before hiring for a
particular job are "mean" and "snobbish."  Hopefully the same student will
go on to college and discover WHY those bosses put on those requirements.

You are right that it is rare indeed to see rudeness toward LD riders from
vets, managers, or from most other riders.  When such rudeness does occur,
if one looks a bit further, one can usually see that the rude person has
their own issues.  Additionally, the rules themselves are not rude--they
are in place for good reason, and when a person rails against those rules
as being "mean" and "snobbish" instead of enjoying the sport for what it
has to offer, one has to quietly wonder why they ride in the first place.
Constructive comments that lead to positive rule changes are one
thing--getting egos mixed up in it is something else altogether.

You are right that the horses don't give a whit.  I was elated to be able
to Top Ten a tough 60 this fall.  My horse's comment was, "Where's my
dinner?"

Heidi