Re: [RC] Returning to competition after foaling - Karla Watson

What about tying up? I have heard that mares tie up more than geldings. (don't flame me....just a rumor I hear around camp....)
------Karla Watson/Oregon
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 9:46 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Returning to competition after foaling

> Thanks so much for sharing that story about your mare, Heidi.  I
> "needed" to  read that, because I've always had a prejudice against
> mares and older  horses starting endurance.
>
> I've been told that mares excel at multi-days, and after my experience
> riding Suzy Kelley's mare at Turkey Trot I now believe they can do 50's
> awesomely.  But what about 100s?  Any differences in style of doing
> 100s?

Females are the survivors of any species.  They are the ones who have to
have the metabolic efficiency and the survivor instinct to survive tough
winters, to know where there is danger, etc. in order for the species to
survive.  Males have to be bigger and stronger and more aggressive in
order to pass on their genetic makeup, but once they impregnate the
females, they can die off.  The females have to survive the tough times,
bear the young, and nurture the young long enough for the next generation
to become established.

In endurance terms, mares in general are more savvy, tend to eat and drink
better, tend to make survivalist choices (let's NOT jump off that cliff!),
etc., which translates into them being biologically actually better suited
to 100s and multidays than their male counterparts, gelded or not.
Certainly there are LOTS of individual differences, and a good gelding
will outperform a poor mare.  The trade-off is that mares (in their
biological role of being survivors) also can be somewhat opinionated--they
don't survive without having some definite thoughts about what is and
isn't good for them.  Many people find this objectionable--I personally
find it rather fun to deal with.  I've not had the opportunity to campaign
many mares, as I've usually been busy riding the stallions, but I've found
the ones I've ridden to be a real delight.

I've become a bit spoiled the past couple of years riding some of Michael
Bowling's geldings--it IS nice to be able to take three geldings out of
the portable corral at a ride and lead them all to water at the same time
<g> which can be "iffy" with some mares, and simply isn't an option with
most stallions.  But that aside, for sheer heart and guts and metabolic
capability, mares are a very much overlooked resource for endurance
riders.

In the out-and-out sprint on the track, bet on the boys.  But the longer
the distance and the tougher the course, the more the mares shine.

Heidi