[RC] Cost of Shoeing - Antonio_Corbelletta

We live in the SF Bay Area, California.  We have a great farrier, who is
probably the best in the area.  She is not cheap, the basic shoeing job, no
pads is $100+.  She is not the most expensive in the area but IMO is worth
her weight in gold.  She is a horsewomen who competes in cutting, barrel
racing, reining (all at professional levels), so she understands the needs
of the performance horse.  I have never had an issue with loosing shoes,
etc.  No lameness, hot nails etc.  She is not currently taking new clients.
Also, she works with us by setting up a shoeing schedule depending on what
we will be doing that year.  When we do Tevis or VC100, we will set up the
schedule 6 or more months in advance so that we are going into the big
event with new shoes.  She will work with us and offer advice and answer
all kinds of questions.  AND she sticks to the schedule is on time, and
shows up!  Which is much more that I can say for other shoers.
Regarding reusing shoes:  When we have shoes on during the endurance season
the shoes get so worn that there is not much left.  So they never get
reused.  Sometimes early in the season when the shoes are not that bad our
farrier will leave the old set for back ups in case of loosing one.
Bottom-line is get a good shoer and pay them whatever they want.  No matter
how expensive they are, it is the cheapest part of maintaining a horse.
Allot cheaper than the vet bills for a lame horse.
Tony

IMPORTANT MESSAGE FOR RECIPIENTS IN THE U.S.A.:  This message may
constitute an advertisement of a BD group's products or services  or a
solicitation of interest in them. If this is such a message and you would
like to opt out of receiving future advertisements or solicitations from
this BD group, please forward this e-mail to optoutbygroup@xxxxxxx
message (which includes any attachments) is intended only for the
designated recipient(s).  It may contain confidential or proprietary
information and may be subject to the attorney-client  privilege or other
confidentiality protections.  If you are not a designated recipient, you
may not review, use, copy or distribute this message. If you receive this
in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete this message.
Thank you.
Corporate Headquarters Mailing Address: BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company)
1 Becton Drive Franklin Lakes, NJ 07417 U.S.A.