[RC] re: are they culling the sick, etc. to Nikki - Cindy Collins

Nikki, all I can tell you is what I have seen with my own eyes here in
Wyoming and out of Ridgecrest, CA.  I live within 5 miles of our
McCullough Peaks herd and about 70 miles from the Pryor Mt. herd.  They
round up a whole herd, or as much of it has they can.  They have a set
number of horse they need to get off the range because it is way
over-grazed and they will starve, and/or are starving out native wildlife.
All healthy animals are put up for adoption.  Animals that are not
adoptable or not adopted, for a variety of reasons...age, health,
temperament, etc., are then the ones that end up spending years in pens.
I have avoided this whole conversation because I believe people are way
too emotional about it and I don't want to get into any arguments.
However, I believe you asked a rational question, so I've tried to answer
it.  Other people will have differing experiences and opinions.  Keep in
mind, too, that I would not be eligible for adopting a wild horse because
my facilities would not meet the govt. standards.  That keeps a lot of
folks from adopting.  Luckily in our area we have a lot of outfitters and
locals who traditionally adopt and are experienced with handling wild
horses.  It is not for everyone.  Personally, I'm with Matthew Mackay
Smith's opinion that there are worse things than death for a horse.  Being
penned up for years rather than slaughtered would seem like a tortured
existence to me, but it's not in my hands.  I'm sure many folks are
grateful for that.  Cindy