From: RDCARRIE@xxxxxxx
To: AERCMembersForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AERCMembersForum] Re: [RC] LDs as Endurance
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 12:36:52 -0500

In a message dated 12/6/2004 12:06:46 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Jena Williams" <equus_blue@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> As a rank newbie I do not have all this historical experiences.nbsp; I simply see the system as it is now and wonder why LD miles are different miles.nbsp; Yes, the strategy for LD is different than a 50.nbsp; Yes, there are things you can get away with in LD that you can't in a 50.nbsp; Can't that same reasoning be used when comparing 50's and 100's? or multi-days?nbsp; They are each different, and all require endurance beyond 99.9% of the trail riders out there. nbsp; I personally like some things about LD that I do not see in the "real" endurance events.nbsp; Like the finish is based on meeting pulse criteria.nbsp; That says alot about a horses conditioning.nbsp; Yes, there are hot shoes in LD.nbsp; You know, I have seen them in 50's too!nbsp; If you don't like the way BC is awarded in LD's (because it encourages "racing" to be in the top ten) change it across the board.nbsp; Don't judge today's LD rider based on "racers" of years gone by.nbsp; nbsp; My solution would be: miles is miles.nbsp; Still have distance divisions for awards (points earned).nbsp; Completion of a 50 is worth more points than winning/BC a 25. And so on up through 100's/multidays. nbsp; Jena nbsp; nbsp;

Hmmm...I don't recall saying I'm against people racing LDs...in fact, I said just the opposite, that I'm ok with it if that's what people want to do and their horse is in shape for it - and said that I feel the same way about longer distances. I don't think I could have been any clearer about that if I tried. Unless, perhaps (as my dad always used to say about some folk LOL), I smacked people up alongside the head with a 2x4 to get their attention and make sure they were listening, *then* said what I had to say. <G>

**sigh** Another case of people making *themselves* feel inferior, and then projecting that feeling onto other posts, regardless of what was actually said.

Folks, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent. You condition your horse, you do the miles, you should feel good about those miles, regardless of whether it was a 25 or a 100 or a 5-day multiday. But AERC has a definition of endurance, and it's 50 miles or more. Those are the rules that the game is played by, the rules that everyone knew existed when they decided to get into the game. It seems like this is the only sport I know that people get into, and then want the rules to be rewritten because they don't like the way the game is played.

Dawn (who has more LD miles than endurance miles at this point, and does NOT want them all combined)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=