Re: [RC] [RC] ? LDs as Endurance - RDCARRIE

In a message dated 12/6/2004 9:57:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

It matters little what they are called - if the second class "stigma" of "not
really endurance" is still present. We need an attitude adjustment - an
acceptance rather than a name change. We need to stop the bickering that is
dividing the endurance family and come together and recogonize each for their
own merits (from the LD to FEI 100)and own accomplishments. Until that happens
- name change or not - we will still be divided and we will still have the
periodic "the scum bags that run thier horses into the gournd going for
placement and "God forbid" BC on an LD need to be all taken out and tied to the
saddle and forced to ride a very slow 100 miles and then pulled off thier horse
and whiped with a cat of nine tails just for good measure" fist fights. It just
gets down to a matter of respect. Until that respect is there -what you call it
will matter little. Truman

Yes, I agree there needs to be respect for all distances.  But frankly, I don't
see or hear about many who do the longer distances expressing disrespect for
those who prefer to stick to the shorter distances.  Seems to me like those who
prefer or need to stick to LD (for whatever reason - time, health, or just
plain <gasp!> preference) are getting all worked up about this "lack of
respect" - when I just don't see it.  Kind of giving themselves an inferiority
complex!  Yes, I've noticed a few on these boards who are pretty anti-LD.  But
most are not.  As for me, I do both LD and 50.  I might be in the minority, but
I don't have problems with people doing fast LDs, or trying for BC, etc. *as
long as they ride within their horses' ability and conditioning*.  But you know
what?  I feel the same about those who race 50s or longer distances - as long
as they ride within their horses ability, I say go for it.  I'm not personally
into racing, but I certainly don't look down on those who do - at any distance.
That's what I like at this sport...there's room for people to ride however
they want.

Again, I just don't see this purported disrespect for the folks who want to
ride LD and don't plan to move up to longer distances.  The main ones I hear
talking about it are the LD riders themselves...seems to me like it's a
self-fullfilling prophecy.  *They* need to stop feeling like they are second
class citizens...because the vast majority of those riding longer distances
don't see them that way.  Just go ride your horses, folks...

Dawn in East Texas
?×?jjb±«®ø?z?Ä?Û«jw5ëa¶Úÿ0zwn­©Üzw­"wè®f­??Ï¢X?È8¬rV¢?êá¶Úÿ
0zwn­©Üzw­ý?yƦ¥+?±ÊâmïÔ?Ë?±Êâmèm¶?ÿÃ?Û«jw?ë®'^q©©þZ ¢v¬¥?xº'?©ÝF'^I§Þ