Re: [RC] Yet another Panacur Purge question - heidi

I think most of these questions got answered in one form or another, but I
still had this in my inbox waiting for an answer so here goes...

so, if they can colic from the purge, what special measures should you
take  during this time to make sure they are OK.

If they have an unknown history (or a known bad one) deworm first with
ivermectin to do a good cleanout, and then do the purge about 3 weeks
later.

where does one get the liquid wormer instead of the paste and is it a
better price? is that why you're doing the purges with liquid instead of
 paste. It sounds like the purge could get pretty expensive.

Most livestock supplies carry the liquid fenbendazole suspension.  It is
marketed as a cattle dewormer as Safeguard, and comes in liter bottles.
Best price I've found lately is at American Livestock Supply.

Is there any difference between doing quest one time and doing the 5 day
 purge? This is a new "thing" for me, so I'm trying to learn the pros
and cons.

Yes--the purge gets a stage or two younger larva than Quest does, and is
also safer if you happen to overdose it--particularly if the horse has low
body fat (such as fit endurance horses, debilitated horses, geriatric
horses, etc.)

Heidi