RE: [RC] Mary's psycho neighbors (long) - David LeBlanc

beth glover said:

       Hi : I felt very bad for Mary, for her encounter with that neighbor.
I can relate to that painful experience.
[snip]

[DCL] I have a friend who has a psycho neighbor. The woman would scream and
curse at my friend, and we think she'd unlatch gates so horses would get
out. My friend repeatedly called the police and got nowhere until she taped
the loony screaming at her, at which time the loony ended up going to jail
for 30 days and was ordered to never harass my friend again or face going to
jail for longer. The tape made the difference. There hasn't been any trouble
out of the loony since.

[horror story snipped - how ghastly!]
=====================================
       Mary, maybe your freaky neighbors already have a criminal record. I
wonder if there is any way that you can find out. Because if they are
behaving in such a psycho way, they could be at risk of being in a parole
violation. Maybe if they had a parole officer or a police officer talk with
them, just a friendly hello, they may watch it. Don't let them know you did
it, let some time pass by. Maybe it would be an anonymous complaint about
noise or a mysterious disturbance?
=====================================

[DCL]
Yes, there is - it is called www.knowx.com. You can pay a fairly small
amount and do a public record search on just about anyone. Convictions are
certainly public record. It would be smart to find out just how crazy these
people are. You could also look up whether they really own the land, and a
trip to the county courthouse will also tell you if they pay their property
taxes. Other bits of useful information kept at the courthouse are the
actual deeds and easements involved.

I also agree with making a trip to the prosecutor's office. A lawyer will
know the law better than just a cop. A trip to speak with the Sherrif in
person (who is probably elected) might also help win friends and clarify
what you can and cannot do. It also lets them know that you take the problem
seriously.