From: Paddi
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2004 5:03 PM
Subject: [RC] To Bit or Not to Bit???? what do you think

I copied this directly from the patent 6591589 for Dr Cooks bitless bridle.
Since it is cold out and the barefoot and the dog thread has been hashed so many time maybe this will give some new interest.
 To Bit or Not to Bit....That is the question.

Such bitted bridles, however, are uncertain in their action because they initiate an adversarial relationship between the horse and rider. For example, the bit causes pain and other reactions that are not consistent with the physiology of exercise. Governance is predicated primarily upon the application of pain to induce submission. Because the bit is a foreign object placed inside the mouth of the horse, many horses react negatively to such a device. Instead of stopping, for example, they sometimes respond to pain by running away or bolting. Furthermore, many horses chew the bit, have sore mouths as a result of the bit being placed in their mouth, balk at the bit, salivate excessively or misbehave during the process of being bridled and rear their heads so that the bit cannot easily be placed in their mouths in the first instance. Moreover, it is also known that a bit in the horse's mouth often leads to cutting of the tongue, dental pain and severe bruising of the gums and underlying bone. Finally, all bits are counter-productive and contraindicated as, apart from pain, respond to pain by running away or bolting. Therefore, bitted bridles are harmful to the horse since control is dependent on painful pressure on the acutely sensitive tissue of the mouth and they stimulate other effects that are inconsistent with the physiological needs of an exercising animal.

This is another site I found while searching for the Spirit Bridle Link on the Dr. cook Web site.

Better get a break in the weather soon so we can all get to riding:-)
Paddi