Re: [RC] Adelante and EDPP - heidi

On 1/28/04, Karen Standifer wrote:

I own the horse that Teresa mentions below (Adelante).  He is
completely
sound.  He encountered metabollic issues at the SilverState ride
(however he did complete successfully).  I had intended to do endurance
with him.  He vetted out perfectly.  After I started conditioning him
and travelling with him it became apparent that the horse is not
endurance horse material.  He moves well, is sound, but is an emotional
basket case.  He doesn't eat or drink away from home.  His performance
had nothing to do with his bare hooves.

Karen, I'm interested in this because I have a horse like that.  I had
assumed that my horse is green and just needs more time in the saddle,
more time on the road, more experience in general.  Does Adelante eat
and drink anytime you're away from home, on training rides, that sort of
thing?

Do you think of him being interested in CTR?

Guess I just wonder what I might be up against.

First off, I had meant to say "bravo Karen" for recognizing when a horse
is not meant to do the job she had in mind for him, and chose a different
path in life for him.  So since I missed saying that to her original post,
I'll say it here.

Dyane, this problem is not black-and-white, but comes in all shades in
between.  Yes, some horses are just nervous, and will come around with
experience.  But that said, you will see progress with the problem by the
second or third ride, and should have the problem well in hand within just
a few rides if the horse IS cut out to do this.  And horses that have had
their homework done (have camped out prior to coming to compete) rarely
experience a problem with this at all, IF they are suited to doing this
sort of thing.

No, I doubt CTR would be any better--it is still a group camping scene,
and going down the trail.

If you ARE having some difficulty with this and DO want to try to
"convert" this horse to this sport, I'd suggest spending a whole bunch of
weekends out horse camping with groups of people and just dawdling around
on the trails when you're there.  If that gets to be ho-hum and old hat,
then he might be ready to come back and try ER.

But if, after a handful of ERs he is not having fun and is not relaxed in
camp, do him a kindness and find him another job.

Heidi