[RC] barefoot stuff - Mel Sherman

I've always been one to actually look into the other side's argument.
In that spirit,  I actually READ some of the other articles from the same web site as the thermograph (btw, I LIKE it when my horse's feet and cannons don't have those hot spots)
Quotes from "What is a Natural Trim:  Straight from the Hoof", by Yvonne Welz, ed. of The Horses Hoof Magazine--

"Most people equate ?soundness? with lack of pain. If a horse can trot freely, willingly and evenly, he is sound. This, however, is a misconception. A lame horse?s foot can be nerve-blocked, and he will trot ?soundly...?

"...As soon as the horse is de-shod, and receives a correct trim that increases circulation, he will feel the pain that is the damage already in existence in his hooves..."

"...The horse is NOT sound if a part of its body is damaged, no matter how well it is moving..."

So the argument goes something like this:  I take your horse, who looks sound, but isn't--Pull his shoes and hack away at his feet till he can barely walk, and--with a straight face-- tell you that NOW he is sounder than when he "trotted freely, willingly, and evenly"--and people BELIEVE this crap??????????!!!!!!!!

This, in conjunction with "no such thing as founder", and little or no citation of actual documented, independent studies...c'mon...

Mel

Do you Yahoo!?