Re: [RC] Riding Alone and Safety - RunRoskoRun

In a message dated 1/27/2004 9:26:35 PM Pacific Standard Time, GoTory@xxxxxx writes:

I found little blue light flashlights on a key chain for $2 at Walgreens-
they say they can be seen for a mile.  note- they don't LIGHT a mile... but can
be seen that far.  Gave them to riding buddies and coworkers.  They are also
great for those of us who have pre-computerized vehicle door locks....  nikki

Just a little anecdote on those bright little blue lights.

When you realize that you have miscalculated your ride time and you're still about a mile from the trailer and the sun has gone down and its getting darker and darker; but you're not worried because in this area there really isn't anything that's gonna' get you in these woods; and the horse you're riding is sure footed, and he knows the way back.  So, while you're just toodling along letting the horse lead the way at his nice little walk and you've got your feet swinging free out of the stirrups and you decide to pull that bright little blue light out of your pocket and play with it to see just how bright it really is.  DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT turn it on while sitting on top of the horse in the pitch blackness unless you want to know what it feels like to have him jump forward, away from that suddenly very bright thing on his back while you do a complete backwards somersault over his butt and land on your butt in the dirt and again wonder aloud why it is that you ride horses.

abigail (my butt still hurts when I talk about it)