[RC] going shoeless- riding alone- and going to the dogs - Cynthia Wunder

I have been intrigued by the shoeless debate.  As a kid I rode my quarterhorse mustang shoeless everywhere. I had no idea that anything I was doing could have hurt her. I ran her down gravel roads, over bridges, even down the railroad tracks once (it made her walk funny!). I had been told never to run her down hill but everything else was a go. She was around sixteen and I was around 11. She was never sore and needed just a little trim now and then.  When I was gifted with a set of farrier tools I took that on with the surety of a child that she couldn't be hurt by anything I did. I went very slowly at first and gradually learned to trim her feet and the neighbor's shetland with his over grown ski's (they were more than happy to have me do so).  Wow, what ignorance!  I was so fortunate that she had those tough mustang feet or I could have seriously injured her.

20 years later I get my next horse, a quarter horse grade.  I am astonished at how she winces everytime we go riding, so I had her shod. Having never had a shod horse before I found the difference amazing. Suddenly she is brave and sure footed.

The long and short is we learn as we go if we are willing to humble ourselves enough to do so. Different horses benefit from different treatment. The only way to make sure you aren't hurting your horse is to go slowly and carefully evaluate what works best for your horse. Learn from others who have knowledge and always check your sources!

I always rode alone, even at 11. Once I was a hour or two late coming home. Never Again!  I was soo grounded. I also got lost in the fog a few weeks ago on my new pony (I'm 38 now, Mom can't ground me).  The people I board with were watching for me.  As long as people know the general area you are in and you have a mount you know well you should be OK.

As a kid I always took my dogs with me, a german shephard and an irish setter. The setter would run his paws ragged and the german had a bad tendency to want to chase the horse. The four of us, horse, rider and two dogs, knew each other well and pretty well stayed this side of trouble. However, once, and only once, for no discernable reason the shephard began doing something to the horse that really unsettled her. I can't tell you what it was because as she reared straight up I was doing my best to hold on; she did this several times. It never happened again and I can't tell you why it did that day. Of course I was alone.

Still I had the gall to tell a local sheep rancher who threatened to shoot my dogs if I didn't leash them that I had them under control. Had I not gotten off my horse and grabbed the both of them they would have been shot. Animals are so unpredictable. Ask any trainer and they can tell stories of well trained animals that suddenly did something bizarre. There are times when difficult as it is you need to be able to use a physical restraint to assure others and yourself that your critters are under control.

As for the barking dog thing it is usually easily settled. Dogs being pack animals sleep soundest and quietest when sleeping beside their owners who can then smack them if they bark in the night.

Your discussions sure do get me thinking!  and I sure do miss my mustang! cyndi