[RC] to Jonni -re archives and barefoot - Teresa Van Hove

Jonni,

PLEASE dont dare someone to ride a really rocky ride barefoot again. If you want to know how that really works, go back to the 2001 nov/dec archives. Then look up the rider and horse. You will find the horse never did another AERC ride again --may mean nothing, but 'I' suspect the horse was never sound enough to do another AERC ride.

I dont mind barefoot, or booted instead of shod either, heck Grey once did 40 miles barefoot in back and booted in front (mainly a dirt surface, but there was an in/out where you had to get on pavement for some of it and there was some rocks-- so not too surprisingly he was starting to get a bit foot-sore and needed the hind boots the last leg -- I hadn't trusted them to stay on or I would have worn them to start with; and I know a rider who couldn't get a good farrier so he learned to trim and uses easyboots over for the rocky rides all the time. Nothing wrong with doing what works for ones horse(s) and situation.

I DO get damm sickNtired of the folks that say that all shod horses are being crippled and 'cant feel their feet'.... Of course you, I, and most experienced riders know thats a pile of BS but what about the new to horses folks that read this drivel? Unfortunately not everyone can recogzine sore-footed, nor other kinds of lameness for that matter --so I dont think its too great having them reading that shod horses have numb feet and feet should be warm --just too dang easy for an amatuer horse owner to mis-interpret as horses should be wincy over any kind of pebble or rock; or that a hot foot means they've really done a good job getting circulation going; rather than the serious 'Oh sh?t something's wrong here, I better ice, protect, and get a vets opinion before I end up with a long term lameness' thoughts they should have.

my .02 cents -Teresa Van Hove

 They seem to want to tell the world when they
did well barefoot....but the trails they are riding, don't compare. I have
no problem with horses who are shod, booted, or barefoot. I just get tired
of hearing again, and again, and again all about how wonderful these
BAREFOOT horses did, but we never hear when they did not do well barefoot.